"My passion for writing and love for travelling, shopping, music not to mention joyful eating, blissful baking and everything that comes in between... are all addends of MY FOOT NOTES"

Saturday, March 31, 2012

CEBU Experience 2012

                                                                           
Standing eminently in Mactan Shrine... the Bronze Statue of the then Chieftain of
Mactan... LAPU LAPU


   On our way back to Cebu, we boarded Oceanjet 8 which was  way too bigger and more cleaner than the Oceanjet 6. Unfortunately, some foreign national we've been trying to avoid in Tagbilaran Port who stinks like HELL  (and when I say STINKS like HELL...JABAR! Aaarggghhh!)

   We docked in Cebu Port at 6:15PM. We directed ourselves outside Cebu Port Authority since cabs are no longer allowed inside the port area.. Outside, there were cabs charging excessively and the rates are fixed and sometimes non negotiable, some “abusive taxi drivers” taking advantage of locals and tourists. It was really an advantage though to have someone who knows their local lingo... otherwise we're totally doomed!!!
   
   Badly needed a good rest and called it the night once checked in. Lucky to get a good 12 hour sleep for another day  of adventure that awaited us...


STAYED at the Newly opened New Era Pension INN
        
* 10 mins walk to Ayala Center Cebu (Shopping Mall)
* 15 mins walk to SM City Cebu (Shopping Mall)
Bldg. 828 New Era St. MABOLO St. Cebu City



A Day in CEBU CITY

   Our 1 day City Adventures in Cebu, I should say was really limited... It was supposed to be a Cebu trip but we stayed and enjoyed Bohol more...
   I see Cebu City as the Metro Manila of the Visayas Region... with the advent of all the malls such as SM City, Ayala Malls etc... obviously, you're not really away from home. So for me, nothing much here aside from the historical sights. Cebu City simply played a big part of Philippine's History, the seat of Catholism.    
   And I utterly wanted to be a part of it. That is how I always savor my every trip. I set the Itinerary and it shouldn't be missed on my list...The Magellan's Cross, Cebu's most Famous Landmark and of course... The
Lapu-Lapu Shrine in Mactan Cebu... though it cost us P600 just for the Taxi ride back and forth to Mactan, I did not give a damn. My travel philosophy is " I don't really go for feeble-minded leisure while traveling... I simply discover and experience places that was a part of history...."

   Before heading off for an adventure, due to time constraints...we ensured to get PASALUBONG, the first thing on our list... A quick stop at The Ayala Center Cebu for some Cash out to Mr ATM Machine and what a good 10 minute walk indeed from where we stayed!!!

Taboan Market

   Taboan Dry Market...That Stinky Place, is worth visiting for!!! Known to be the place where dried fish and Dried Mangoes can be purchased at the cheapest!!!

Taboan Market

SOME SMELLY - FISHY TALE

Pasalubong Time
 Gastronomical Experience in Cebu

Ngohiong and Pusô (Hanging Rice)


  First stop... The Original NGOHIONG House in Cebu, and if my memory serves me right it is situated in a residential area in Fairlane Subdivision in Guadalupe. On our way, Matet's Mommy (their terms of endearment, I guess... but in reality it's her ATE) gave us a quick info about the place... according to ATE, you can typically find Ngohiong almost in every corner in Cebu ( one was being offered at the 24 HOUR resto near our hotel, NEW ERA PENSIONNE ) but the best can only be found in Doming's, dubbed as the ORIGINAL... Doming's is no restaurant. It was just basically a residence... nothing to fancy... there's not even any signages. Their gate was just open for people that might consider dining in... their garage was converted into a dining place where one can savor the best NGOHIONG if one cannot wait to try it at home...

Doming's Garage
   Anyway, I was really excited... it was compared to a fried LUMPIANG UBOD... and the more I got really excited... ( I have such a big appetite for CRUNCHINESS) I even told myself I could maybe eat 10... big tummy huh?
   Doming's also offered... Pusô (Hanging Rice)... A Steamed Rice packed in a woven palm leaf pouch, Fried Chicken and Batikon, fried Inards (Chicken Gizzards, I really hate this food... so I did not even dared to try it)
   At 11AM, almost lunch time...Though almost all seats were taken, it was not really packed. Matet's Ate ordered, I think around 50 Ngohiong, 12 Fried Chicken and I don't know how many pieces of Pusô and Batikon. I only consumed 4 Ngohiong and I really loeved the taste especially its crispiness... though I did not enjoyed the sauce that much... For me, still the best way to enjoy it was to dip it withVinegar...I tried Pusô... nothing much of it... steamed sticky rice, I guess... but I did enjoyed eating their Fried Chicken... it tasted differently. Five Spice, very pungent... I can smell Star Anise indomitably in both Fried Chicken and Ngohiong...
   This experience was totally memorable... having tasted and heard of Ngohiong for the first time in a place where it was originally made... I can say that this place is really worth going back for.


TAOIST TEMPLE
  
 
 After a sumptuous lunch at Doming's... we headed our way to Beverly Hills Subdivision, home to Cebu's Taoist Temple. This place though entails private vehicle if you are planning to pay a visit. If you are in a group, better get into a tour package for more convenience... And if you are just all by yourself, I guess TAXIs are always worth the joy ride...

    
     
       Just a note! Photo Ops inside the Temple is a BIG no-no!!! STRICTLY PROHIBITED !!!  You can't go wrong, guards would simply Shoo-fly you and most often than not you'll hear their irritating whistle!!!!! PRrrrrrrttttt, right PENG?
                   


   After the great Photo Ops, we headed back to our Hotel for a quick siesta...  I took a bath for the secondth time, after being exposed to Taboan Market, I definitely needed to refresh myself there.
  
   At 2PM, we decided to get going. The Group of 7 was divided into 2... My group ( we were 3)  hailed a CAB and headed to Mactan City. We were supposed to drop by somewhere in Lapu-Lapu City where The
Famous Cebu Guitars are made. However the weather wasn't really on our side, it drizzled then rained a bit. We were on the brink of going back to the hotel but still decided to push with our trip to Mactan Shrine anyway. A quick shower that was, upon alighting at Mactan Shrine, somehow the sun shined on us, the rain stopped to pave way for our quick visit to Mr.  Hero, Mr. Lapu Lapu =) .

   The Mactan Shrine is located in Mactan Island, Cebu. Dedicated in honor of Lapu-Lapu, Ferdinand Magellan, and the Battle of Mactan.

Battle of Mactan
Mural painting depicting the Battle in Mactan

Magellan Shrine 
              The Magellan shrine is a large memorial tower erected in honor of the Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan. The spot is believed to be the area were Magellan was killed in the Battle of Mactan on 1521, Philippines.

   And as we were about to leave, the sun bid goodbye again. Good thing we were already  inside the cab when yet again another heavy down pour on our to Basilica Minore del Santo Niño. As we enter Cebu City, Niño heard my prayers... the dark clouds hovering us was simply cast away. 

Another Famous Cebu's Landmark...
Basilica Minore del Santo Niño
 
Facade

The Minor Basilica of the Santo Niño or Basilica Minore del Santo Niño is a 16th century church.It was built purportedly on the spot where the image of the Santo Niño, a sculpture depicting the Holy Child Jesus found by Spanish explorers in 1565 preserved in a burned wooden box which was left behind during the 1521 Magellan expedition.









Church Interiors








      


Ferdinand Magellan, 1521


   Magellan's Cross is a Christian cross planted by Portuguese and Spanish explorers as ordered by Ferdinand Magellan upon arriving in Cebu on 1521. It is found in a chapel next to the Basilica of the Santo Niño.


 Shopping is quite inevitable in every trip, especially if by chance your fave clothing line is just around the corner...  My supposed window shopping simply turned out to be a shopping spree.... Aarrrgh!!!!!                        




My Best Find, So loev!!!

That's a Wrap!!!


That Concludes our very short CEBU Trip!!!





BhuBye CEBU!!!


 

 














   

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Sharing is Blessing!!!